I was out and about at 05:15 this morning where after collecting the recorder from last night, I spent a few hours looking at the sea before walking along the Downs to Bishopstone and back. Last night, as there was a chance of the Northern Lights (which I didn't see), I spent an hour or so on the clifftop. I had only been there 10 minutes when I heard a Barn Owl and turned to see it flying over, lit up by some security lights. This is the first time I have actually seen one on the patch. Back to this morning where in hot conditions I noted 10 Common Scoter east, 2 Stock Dove, 9 Swift, 28 Oystercatcher, 6 Whimbrel, c30 Bar tailed Godwit (131) flew high west with a Whimbrel at the front giving a good size comparison and presumably the same birds were seen 30 minutes later at Seasalter. There were 3 Common Sandpiper, 3 Turnstone, 12 Black headed Gull, 21 Mediterranean Gull, 2 Great Black backed Gull, 2 Lesser Black backed Gull, 201 Common Tern flew east, 72 'Commic' Tern east, 103 Sandwich Tern east, 1 Gannet, 6 Cormorant, 3 Little Egret flew in from the north and continued inland and 4 small Egrets flew west distantly. There was 1 Grey Heron, 1 Great spotted Woodpecker, 1 Kestrel, 1 Peregrine, 3 Sand Martin, 2 Swallow, 1 Willow Warbler, 1 Chiffchaff, 2 Blackcap, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, 7 Whitethroat, 66 Starling, 6 Robin, 1 Stonechat, 49 House Sparrow, 1 Meadow Pipit, 3 Chaffinch, 5 Linnet and 2 Goldfinch. Also seen were c8 Migrant Hawker, 1 Common Darter and 4 Clouded Yellow butterfly.
'A few hours looking out to sea'....That's dedication Marc, and a good haul for your efforts, including the Bar-tailed Godwits and Mediterranean Gulls. Luv it!
ReplyDeleteRegards....Pete.
Seawatching is very addictive Pete. One session could be dead and the next morning, plenty could be going through. The sea holds an excellent variety of species if you can put in the time. Take care.
Delete